Sunday, June 21, 2009

Big Government vs Big Corporation

Whom do you fear? Are you afraid of a government so powerful that the individual has relatively no power to effect change in society? Are you afraid of giant corporations with massive amounts of wealth that can effectively do what they wish in society? You may say both! I've been thinking about this a lot and I hope my thoughts provide some value to you.

It seems that politicians and political pundits are preying upon the fears of citizens these days. I hear so much about how dangerous our government is; but then I hear others speak of regulating and limited the power of the filthy rich businesses. TV shows and movies often cast these powers as the "evil" influence behind the antagonists of their stories. Stated accurately by someone: "absolute power corrupts absolutely". Perhaps hollywood is correct that we should fear these behemoths of power and money.

Conspiracy theories seem to always point to these powers as the villians: evil people with too much power and too much money. Perhaps the crazies are on to something!

Remember the "NO FEAR!" t-shirts? I think those things quit selling after 9/11. Correct me if I'm wrong on that. Perhaps I should start selling, "I'm afraid" t-shirts. Hmmmm. Please place your order in comment and paypal me your $19.95.

The division among the people afraid of the bigs is startling to me. Those scared to death of Big Oil, the mighty Microsoft, and giant GE have no trouble granting unlimited power to politicians with equally troubling moral compasses. Conversely, those who fear politicians are going to ruin society by enacting troubling policies, making unwise decisions, and behaving in an unethically corrupt manner do not have any trouble allowing giant corporations to plunder an unsuspecting people. Perhaps the little man has no chance after all.

"Since when is being selfish considered a virtue?" was an often aired quote of President Obama while on the campaign trail. He has made no qualms about where he falls on this issue. His actions demonstrate we have less to fear from big government than we do from big business. Many are arguing - and I believe correctly- for the limiting of government power and control. "Power needs to be put back into the private sector" is the argument. Free market capitalism seeks to limit the government and empowers successful businesses.

Big corporations flourished in the 90's and into the new millinium the sky seemed to be the limit. Well the sky wasn't the limit and the old adage of "what goes up must come down" applies to the economy as well as apples. Big business made some big mistakes and big government has taken advantage to become even bigger. Even still there are some mighty companies with huge piles of money (most if it being devalued as I type by the way), and plenty of people afraid of their power.

Should we be afraid of either of these entities? I don't believe so and I'm going to try and live my life free of the fear of either. I'm not putting blinders on to their greed, corruption, immorality, unethical bevavior, and etc; but I'm not going to let them bully me either. To be honest, I have to say I'm more inclined to fear big government because I think I have less control over them. Corporate power seems to fluctuate and I can always stop buying their product if I desire. Even with this inclination, I am determined to fear neither.

Here is why.

Psalms 118:6 The LORD is on my side; I will not fear: what can man do unto me?

Proverbs 29:25 The fear of man brings a snare: but whosoever puts his trust in the LORD shall be safe.

Ecclesiastes 12:13 Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.

Matthew 10:28 And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

That seems to sum it up just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment